Thursday, November 12, 2009

Chicken Stock

For years I used to buy stock cubes from the supermarket as my mother did, I'm sure you are all familiar with them. At one stage I was living with a vegetarian who introduced me to a brand of stock cubes that tastes like but are not made from animals and even though I am not a vegetarian I used them until about a year ago when I decided to try making my own fresh chicken stock and it is really quite easy and much better tasting than stock cubes. I have my own little herb garden outside the kitchen but luckily you can buy fresh herbs from your local supermarket or green grocers. The chicken carcasses I get from a local butcher, you can if you like substitute 1/2 kg of chicken necks for the carcasses.

Ingredients:

3 x chicken carcasses
1 x bunch fresh thyme
1 x bunch fresh sage
2 x onions (cubed)
1 x tablespoon sea salt
1 x tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
8 x litres of water (I use filtered water for all my cooking)

Using a large stock pot fry the onions in the oil for a few minutes the add the herbs and carcasses and fry for another few minutes.

Add the water and salt and bring to boil, lower heat and leave for 3 hours.

allow to cool then drain the liquid into containers and put them in your freezer.

Now whenever you need chicken stock for a recipe you have a fresh supply ready to use and much better tasting and healthier than the cubes we have been using for decades

No comments:

Post a Comment